White City Stadium
Originally know as The Great Stadium, White City Stadium was built for the 1908 Summer Olympics. Its impressive appearance and a capacity of over 76,000 made it an ideal venue for use during World Cup 1966.
White City Stadium hosted only one match during the World Cup. It was originally not intended to be used. However, when the owners of Wembley refused to cancel a regular greyhound racing event, an alternative venue was needed to host the Uruguay v France match. White City Stadium was chosen.
Construction: White City Stadium opened in 1908. It was used to host various sporting events over the years. Unfortunately, it closed in 1984 and was demolished the following year.
Matches: Uruguay 2 : 1 France (July 15)